1 tablespoon oil
3 pounds Ontario Corn Fed Beef roast such as chuck, round, brisket
1 large onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 pound baby carrots (optional)
1 pound mini potatoes or diced potatoes (optional)
2 tablespoons cornstarch + 2 tablespoons water
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat, add the beef and brown on all sides, about 20 minutes and set aside.
- Add the onions and cook until tender, about 2-3 minutes, before adding the garlic and red pepper flakes and cooking until fragrant, about a minute.
- Place the beef, onions, broth, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, carrots and potatoes in a slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 3-5 hours. (The beef will be falling apart tender when done!)
- Remove the carrots, potatoes and beef and slice or shred the beef.
- Skim any fat from the cooking juices, place it in a sauce pan, bring to a simmer, add the mixture of the cornstarch and water and cook until the glaze has thickened a bit.
- Option: Skip steps 1 & 2 and just place everything into the slow cooker!
- Option: Instead of transferring to a slow cooker in step 3, place everything in the pot that you cooked the beef in, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the meat is pull apart tender, about 3-4 hours. OR Transfer the pot to a preheated 275F and braise until the meat is pull apart tender, about 3-4 hours.
Original Recipes: Slow Cooker Balsamic Glazed Roast Beef @ closetcooking.com