12 ounces Hong Kong style egg noodles
2 teaspoons oyster sauce
¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons minced garlic
¼ – ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons high heat oil (such as canola, vegetable)
1 ½ cups mixed veggies (such as coleslaw style cabbage, shredded carrots, and bean sprouts)
- Bring a large stock pot of water to boil. While the water is boiling, separate the greens from the whites of the scallion. Cut into one inch pieces then quarter the 1-inch piece vertically so you end up with thinly julienned scallions, set aside. In a bowl, combine the oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, and 1 teaspoon of sesame oil, stir to combine, set aside.
- When the water comes to a boil, add the noodles and allow them to boil for 2-4 minutes (according to package directions). Drain and rinse under cold running water.
- Heat a large wok or a 16-18 inch skillet over high heat. Let the skillet heat for several minutes until it becomes SCREAMING HOT. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of sesame oil and 1 tablespoon of canola oil. When the pan becomes very hot and the oil starts to shimmer, add the noodles in a thin even layer. Grab the handle and carefully swirl the pan so the oil evenly coats all the noodles. Allow the noodles to cook for 4-6 minute or until they become crispy.
- Flip the noodles over using a large spatula. Do this carefully, don’t worry if you cannot get all of them to turn at once. Do it in portions if necessary. Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon of sesame oil and 1 tablespoon of canola oil around the perimeters of the pan and again, lift the skillet with handle and swirl the pan to allow the oil to distribute. Let the noodles fry for an additional 3-5 minutes. Remove the noodles to a plate.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of sesame oil, along with the white part of the scallion and let sizzle for just 10 seconds. Add the shredded carrots if using, and let cook for an additional 10 seconds. Add the noodles back into the skillet and toss. Separate the noodles so there aren’t any large clumps. Toss in the shredded cabbage mix, if using and drizzle with the soy sauce mixture and toss continuously for 1-2 minutes or until the sauce distributes evenly over the noodles.
- Add the bean sprouts if using and the greens of scallions. Toss to combine and serve immediately.
- For vegetarians, you can swap the oyster sauce for dark soy sauce or an oyster flavored sauce (see ingredients some of them actually don’t contain oyster extract at all!)
- If you do not have a skillet/wok large enough to fit all the noodles, you can do this in 2 batches (use ½ tablespoon of sesame oil and ½ tablespoon of canola oil per batch/per side)
Original Recipes visit: Cantonese-Style Pan-Fried Noodles @ littlespicejar.com