1 1/4 lbs red potatoes, washed, but not peeled
1 1/4 lbs Yukon gold potatoes, washed, but not peeled
1 onion, sliced thinly
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp all purpose flour
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp paprika
salt and pepper, to taste
2 cups whole milk
1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
1/2 cup gruyere cheese shredded
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
fresh chives, for garnish
fresh parsley, for garnish
additional 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
additional 1/4 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
additional 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a 2 quart casserole dish and set aside.
- Slice potatoes in 1/8" thin slices (I use this mandoline slicer), and set aside.
- Add butter to medium saucepan, and heat over MED heat. When butter is melted, add garlic and saute for 1 minute, until fragrant. Add flour, whisk, and cook 1 minute. Slowly add milk, whisking continuously, until no lumps remain. Whisk over MED heat until mixture is thick and coats the back of a spoon.
- Turn off heat, add cheeses, dry mustard, thyme, paprika, salt and pepper, and stir until smooth.
- Layer half the potatoes and onion slices in prepared casserole dish, pour approximately half of the cheese sauce over potatoes and let sit for a minute. Repeat with remaining potatoes, onions, and cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle top of potatoes with gruyere, cheddar and Parmesan. Spray aluminum foil with cooking spray, then cover the casserole dish (sprayed side down). Place casserole on a baking sheet and bake for 60 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake uncovered an additional 25-30 minutes. Potatoes should be tender and cheese melted. Broil on HIGH for a minute or two for extra browning and crispiness.
- Sprinkle top with chives and parsley and serve.
Original Recipes visit: Garlic Parmesan Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes @ thechunkychef.com