2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup diced white onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup flour
3 cups chicken stock
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
1 10-ounce can red enchilada sauce
1 (14-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
½ teaspoon ground cumin
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated
1 teaspoon salt
optional toppings: tortilla chips/strips, diced/sliced avocado, sour cream, chopped fresh cilantro, and/or pico de gallo
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. (To save time, peel and dice the onion for the minute or so that the oil heats.)
- Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes, or until cooked and translucent. Add the garlic and saute for an additional minute until fragrant, being careful not to burn it.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for an additional minute.
- Pour in half of the chicken stock, and stir until completely combined and no lumps remain.
- Add in the rest of the chicken stock, and stir quickly to combine.
- Add in the chicken, enchilada sauce, black beans, tomatoes, salt and cumin, and stir until combined. Continue stirring occasionally until simmering.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and let it simmer for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally so that the soup does not burn to the bottom of the pan.
- Slowly stir in the cheese until combined. Season with salt, to taste.
- Serve your soup warm with toppings of choice. Enjoy!
Original Recipes visit: 20 Minute Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup @ wishesndishes.com