The cloves from 1/2 head of garlic, peeled, crushed, minced
2 Tablespoons of fresh lime juice
3/4 teaspoon of coarse salt
1 Tablespoon of sweet paprika
2 1/2 teaspoons of ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons of freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 to 2 pounds of salmon, cut into 2-inch pieces (largish-bite sized pieces)
2 medium onions, sliced
1 large green bell pepper, seeded, de-stemmed, and sliced
2 medium tomatoes, sliced
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 14-ounce can regular (not light) coconut milk
1 large bunch fresh cilantro, chopped, 1-2 cups
- Marinate salmon: Mix together the marinade ingredients. Let the salmon marinate in this paste for at least 2 hours. The longer, the better.
- Layer ingredients in a large pot: In a large pan (large covered skillet or Dutch oven), coat the bottom of the pan with a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Add a layer of sliced onions, and then a layer of sliced bell peppers, and a layer of sliced tomatoes.
- Place the fish pieces, with the marinade, on top of everything, and start layering again—onions, bell peppers, and tomatoes.
- Top with cilantro, coconut milk, olive oil: Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Add about half of your fresh cilantro to the top.
- Pour coconut milk over the top. Drizzle generously with olive oil over the top (several tablespoons).
- Simmer: Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 30 minutes to an hour, until the vegetables are cooked through.
- Garnish with remaining cilantro.
Original Recipes visit: Brazilian Salmon Stew (Moqueca) @ simplyrecipes.com