2 Tbsp butter
2 cups sliced onion
1 1/2 cups sliced celery (about 2 to 3 ribs)
1/2 cup sliced carrot (1 small carrot)
1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
2 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced, about 1 1/2 to 2 cups
6 cups chicken stock
6 cups of roughly chopped cauliflower florets (see How to Cut and Core Cauliflower)
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 6 ounces)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Sauté the onions, celery, carrots, garlic: Heat butter in a large 5-6 quart Dutch oven or thick bottomed pot on medium high heat. Add the onions, celery, and carrots. Cook for 5-8 minutes until the onions are softened. Add the minced garlic and cook a minute more.
- Add the potatoes, stock, cauliflower, bay leaves, thyme, salt and black pepper. Heat on high and bring the stock to a simmer. Lower the heat to maintain a simmer. Partially cover and cook for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are completely tender.
- Purée until smooth: Remove from heat and remove the bay leaves. Either using an immersion blender or a standing blender, purée the soup mixture until completely smooth.
- Add the cheddar cheese and Worcestershire: Slowly add the grated cheddar cheese, continuing to purée the soup as you add the cheese, until completely blended. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
- Delicious with crusty bread.
Original Recipes visit: Cauliflower Cheddar Soup @ simplyrecipes.com