For the meatballs:
1 pound ground turkey meat
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large egg
2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
1 teaspoon soy sauce
3 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
1 scallion, white part only, minced
1 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup lukewarm water
3 tablespoons oil (olive, vegetable, canola) for frying
For the Sriracha Teriyaki:
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup raw honey
1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons water, divided
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
For the rice:
2 cups instant brown rice, cooked according to package instructions
Scallions, for sprinkling
For the meatballs:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Allow the oil to simmer (you want it very hot) while you prepare the meatballs.
- In a large bowl combine ground turkey meat, garlic, egg, cilantro, sriracha, soy, ginger, scallion, pepper, and panko. Slowly add the water, a few tablespoons at a time. The mixture should be very moist but still hold its shape when rolled into meatballs.
- Scoop one heaping tablespoon sized round of meat into your palm and roll it into a small ball; repeat until all meat has been rolled into meatballs.
- Fry meatballs in batches in the hot oil, 1-2 minutes on each side; or just until lightly browned.
- Place semi-cooked meatballs on prepared baking sheet. Once all meatballs have been panfried, place the baking sheet in the oven to bake for 10-12 minutes, or until they're cooked though.
- While the meatballs bake, make your sriracha teriyaki!
- In a small saucepan combine the soy sauce, honey, 1/2 cup of the water, sesame oil, sriracha sauce, and ginger. Heat over a medium-low flame and stir constantly until the honey is dissolved; about 3 minutes..
- In a small dish combine the cornstarch with the remaining 3 tablespoons of water, then pour it into the glaze, stir well to combine.
- Increase the heat to medium high. Cook the sauce, stirring constantly, just until thickened. This should only take 2 minutes. Once it's thickened remove from heat and stir in sesame seeds.
- At this point the meatballs should be ready to come out of the oven! Transfer them from the baking sheet straight into the pot with the sauce; stir to coat.
- Place 1/2 cup of rice in each bowl. Top with a few meatballs, a sprinkle of sesame seeds, and some chopped scallions! Enjoy!
Original Recipes visit: Healthy 30 Minute Sriracha Teriyaki Meatball Bowls @ bakerbynature.com