3 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
1 & 1/3 cup International Delight Dark Hot Chocolate
1/2 cup oil
Chocolate cake mix
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
2 sticks butter, room temperature
1 & 1/2 containers marshmallow fluff, 7oz each
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar
Mini marshmallows to top the cake
- Preheat the oven according to the directions on the box.
- Using butter, grease the bottom and sides of two 8 inch round cake pans or springform pans and line the bottom with a round piece of parchment paper. To ensure even baking, place a bake even strip around the pan. You can make your own homemade bake even strip by cutting a towel or shirt to fit the size of your pan. Get the fabric really wet, then squeeze out the dripping water but do not squeeze it too dry. Secure the fabric around the pan with a safety pin.
- In a mixing bowl combine the eggs, egg yolk, International Delight Hot Chocolate, and oil. Slowly add in the chocolate cake mix and beat using an electric mixer until all of the cake mix is incorporated.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared cake pans, using a spatula to evenly spread it. Put an even amount of cake batter in each pan.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Once the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan on a cooling rack for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, carefully remove the cake from the pan. If using a springform pan, remove the sides and bottom. Allow the cake to cool completely on a cooling rack. Once cool, remove the parchment paper round from the bottom of the cake. If you need to level the top of your cake, do so now using either a cake lever or knife. Make sure the cake is completely cooled, then wrap the cake in plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator. This cake is good for up to one week like this.
- Place chocolate chips in a medium heat-proof bowl.
- In a small pot over low heat, heat the heavy cream until boiling.
- Pour the heavy cream over the chocolate chips. Allow the mixture to stand for 1-2 minutes.
- Use a spatula to stir the mixture until smooth.
- Allow the ganache to come to room temperature before adding it to the cake.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter using an electric mixer until fluffy. Add in the marshmallow fluff and vanilla extract, gently mix by hand with a spatula.
- Begin to add the powdered sugar, about 1 cup at a time, mixing by hand first, then with the electric mixer.
TO ASSEMBLE THE CAKE
- Spread a small amount of buttercream on an 8 inch round cardboard cake circle.
- Place your first layer of cake on top of the cardboard.
- Put buttercream on top of the first layer and spread it smooth with an offset spatula. Decide how much or how little frosting you want in-between each layer. You want the frosting to be visible on the sides.
- Using a spoon, drizzle the room temperature chocolate ganache over the buttercream, allowing it to drip down the sides of the cake.
- Place the second layer of cake on top of the previous layers.
- Add more buttercream, smoothing it with a spatula.
- Drizzle on more chocolate ganache, allowing it to fall down the sides. Also cover the center of the cake with ganache.
- Add a few handfuls of mini marshmallows to the top of the cake.
- Use a kitchen torch to toast the marshmallows.
- Serve and enjoy.
Original Recipes visit: Hot Chocolate Cake @ thefirstyearblog.com