1 tablespoon olive oil
1 leek, cleaned and thinly sliced
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 1/2 pounds asparagus, woody ends broken off and cut into 1-2 inch pieces
1/2 cup frozen peas
Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup water
1 cup plain non-fat or 2% Greek yogurt
Shaved or grated parmesan cheese for topping the soup
- Heat a the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- When the pot is hot add in the leek, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and sautè for 3 minutes or until the leek starts to soften.
- Add in the chopped asparagus and sautè another 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the frozen peas, pour in the chicken or vegetable broth and water and bring to a boil.
- When the soup is boiling, cover with a lid, lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes or until the asparagus is very tender.
- Remove from the heat and use an immersion stick or blender to blend the soup until it is smooth.
- Stir in the Greek yogurt and season with more salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to serving bowls and top with parmesan cheese.
If you are using a blender to purèe the soup allow it to cool for 5 minutes before pouring it into the blender. Only fill the blender halfway and leave one corner of the lid cracked to allow the steam to be released. Place a towel over the lid and pulse a few times before turning the blender on all the way.
Original Recipes visit: Light Creamy Asparagus Soup @ reciperunner.com