5 tablespoons oil, divided
1 large sweet onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1½ cups chicken broth
1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
½ cup white wine*
¼ cup brown sugar
¾ teaspoon salt
8 (4 ounce) boneless-skinless chicken breasts
⅓ cup flour
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pot and saute the onion until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook 30 more seconds. Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, wine, brown sugar, and salt. Let the sauce cook over medium heat while you prepare the rest.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in an oven safe fry pan over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and then dredge in flour. Place in the fry pan and brown on both sides (about 2 minutes per side). Pour the sauce over the chicken, sprinkle with fresh ground pepper, and then place in the oven and cook for 50-60 minutes. (If your pan isn't heat safe you can place the chicken in a 9x13 inch pyrex dish, pour the sauce on top, and bake.)
- Serve chicken along with sauce over white or brown rice.
*1/2 wine can be substituted for ½ cup chicken broth.
Original Recipes visit: Napa Valley Chicken @ garnishandglaze.com