1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
3/4 cup quinoa thoroughly rinsed
1 can black beans drained and rinsed
1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies*
1 can (10 ounces) red enchilada sauce
1/2 jalapeno diced, optional
1/2 cup diced onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 can corn
4 cups chicken broth or stock
1 and 1/2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
Toppings: cheese, avocado, squeeze of lime, 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper, 1 teaspoon tabasco sauce, extra cilantro, fried or baked tortilla strips or chips
- Spray your slow cooker with nonstick spray.
- Combine all of the ingredients besides the optional toppings in a large slow cooker. Do not drain the diced tomatoes.
- Give everything a good stir, cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Note that if you cook this on low it turns into more of a stew and on high it is more soup-like.
- Shred the chicken and scoop into bowls.
- Top with freshly shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, lime juice, tortilla chips, and sour cream as desired. If needed, increase any of the seasonings and if desired add in some tabasco sauce and ground chipotle pepper.
If you like a spicy soup, feel free to increase the jalapeno amount, use a medium or hot enchilada sauce, and get mild or medium diced tomatoes with green chilies. If you'd like less spice, use a mild enchilada sauce, mild diced tomatoes with green chilies, and reduce or completely eliminate the jalapeno.
Original Recipes visit: Slow Cooker Quinoa Mexican Tortilla Chicken Soup @ chelseasmessyapron.com