For the filling:
3 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
1 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
1 1/5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 green onions, chopped
6 (8’’) uncooked flour tortillas, I prefer the tortilla land brand
olive oil or nonstick cooking spray
For the Creamy Green Chile Sauce:
3 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 tsp minced garlic (about 1 clove)
2 cups low sodium chicken broth warmed
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves, crushed
salt and pepper, to taste
1 4oz. can mild chopped green chilies
1/3 cup cheddar cheese, plus more for topping on burritos
1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Mix chicken, salsa, cumin, oregano, cheese and onions. Place a heaping 1/2 cup or so of the chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla.
- Fold the sides of the tortilla in and roll up like a burrito. Place seam-side down on baking sheet.
- Brush lightly with olive oil or spray with non stick cooking spray.
- Bake at 400°F for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce by melting butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once melted and bubbling, whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes. Add minced garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Gradually whisk in chicken broth. Add cumin, oregano, and a dash of salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in green chilies, cheese and sour cream. Tastes and add more seasonings if needed.
- Remove burritos from oven and turn the oven to HIGH broil. Ladle a spoonful of sauce over each burrito and top with a handful of shredded cheddar cheese. Broil for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Enjoy!
The chicken filling and green chile sauce can both be made a day or two in advanced. Store separately, covered in the fridge.
Original Recipes visit: Smothered Green Chile Chicken Burritos @ tastesbetterfromscratch.com