1 tbsp olive oil
3 medium sized mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp butter
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 stick of celery, sliced
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/3 cup milk
1 cup basmati and wild rice blend (or long grain and wild rice blend)
½ cup white wine
4 cups hot chicken or vegetable stock (water plus a couple of stock cubes is fine)
1 tsp dried thyme
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
Juice of half a lemon
1/3 cup heavy cream
½ packed cup shredded gruyere cheese
2 cups leftover cooked, shredded chicken
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large sauce, and fry the mushrooms on a medium heat until browned. Remove from the pan.
- Melt the butter in the same pan, and fry the onions and celery for 4-5 minutes until softened. Add the flour to the pan, and stir together using a whisk, until the flour is incorporated with the vegetables and butter. Turn the heat up to high, and pour in the milk in a slow stream, whilst stirring with the whisk, until the milk is completely mixed in.
- Add the rice and white wine, and stir. Then add in the stock and dried thyme and stir again. Bring to gentle bubble and simmer for 20 minutes – stirring 2 or 3 times during cooking. Test the rice – it should be cooked at this point (give it a couple more minutes if it needs it).
- Add in the salt, pepper, lemon juice, cream, cheese, cooked chicken and the mushrooms. Stir together and test for seasoning. If you prefer your soup a little thinner, you can stir in a splash of milk.
- Heat until the chicken is warmed through, then serve topped with fresh parsley.
Original Recipes visit: Chicken, Wild Rice & Mushroom Soup @ simplystacie.net