2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
4 medium carrots, peeled and diced small
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups cooked ham, diced small
1 pound green split peas, rinsed
8 cups chicken stock
1 dried bay leaf
- In a large soup pan or dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, salt and pepper. Sauté until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the diced ham, stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the green split peas, chicken stock and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil and simmer, covered for 1 hour or until peas are soft and broken down. Check periodically to make sure liquid doesn't evaporate too quickly. If it does, add more stock or water to thin it out.
- Test for seasoning and adjust, because there is salt in the ham we only added salt once.
Original Recipes visit: Ham and Split Pea Soup @ culinaryginger.com