4 cups thinly sliced potatoes
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1½ cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 dash cayenne pepper
1½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter and stir in flour.
- whisk in the milk and season with salt and cayenne.
- Cook sauce on low until smooth and boiling, stirring occasionally with a whisk.
- Reduce heat and stir in 1 cup of the cheddar cheese.
- Place a half of the sliced potatoes in a lightly greased 1.5 quart casserole dish (8x8 or 9x9 will work)
- Pour half of cheese sauce over potatoes.
- Repeat with second layer of potatoes and cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of cheddar cheese on top.
- Top with some paprika for color.
- Bake uncovered for about 1 hour at 350°F.
If doubling, use a 9x13 pan.
Original Recipes visit: Scalloped Potatoes @ the-girl-who-ate-everything.com