1 large yellow onion, diced
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 28-ounce can whole plum tomatoes (sauce included)
1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped finely
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup half and half
3 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole milk
1 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
1 16-ounce package gnocchi, cooked per manufacturer's instructions
2 cups fully-cooked chicken breasted, shredded
shaved parmesan and chopped basil, for garnish
- To your slow cooker, add yellow onion, garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil, granulated sugar, salt, pepper, half and half, and chicken stock. Stir to combine. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours, stirring every hour or so.
- Once cooked, transfer the soup to a blender and blend until completely smooth. Be careful, as the soup will be hot. Cover the blender with a towel and hold as you blend. Transfer back to the slow cooker. Keep the heat set on low.
- Prepare a roux, by melting the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Sprinkle on the flour and whisk until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Whisk in the milk and continue to whisk until no lumps of flour remain and the mixture is thick.
- Add the roux to the slow cooker, and whisk until fully incorporated. Add the grated parmesan cheese, and cover. Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Add the cooked gnocchi and chicken and stir to combine. Serve immediately with shaved parmesan and chopped basil.
- Note: If you plan on reheating the soup, I suggest serving the gnocchi individually by placing a small amount in each bowl and then pouring the soup over top. The gnocchi tends to get gummy if it sits in the soup and will not reheat as well. You may still add the chicken to the entire pot of soup.
Original Recipes visit: Slow Cooker Parmesan and Tomato Soup with Gnocchi and Chicken @ cookingandbeer.com