1 head garlic
4 heaping cups broccoli
5 Tbsp. olive oil
salt + pepper
1/2 vidalia onion, diced
3 Tbsp. all-purpose gluten free flour
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups unsweetened almond milk
7-9 Tbsp. Bob's Red Mill Nutritional Yeast
1/8 tsp. cayenne (optional)
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
For serving: Cheez-It Roasted Chickpeas
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the top off of your head of garlic to expose the cloves. Drizzle with 1 Tbsp. olive oil and roast for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove the pan and add your broccoli florets. Toss with another 1 Tbsp. olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast for another 30 minutes, or until the garlic and broccoli is tender.
- If your broccoli florets are rather large, toss them in a food processor and pulse them until they are bite-sized. Set aside.
- Add 1 Tbsp. olive oil to a medium pot over medium heat. Add diced onion, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes. While the onion is cooking, mash 5-6 roasted garlic cloves with a fork or mortar & pestle - add a tiny pinch of salt to help them break down. Add your mashed roasted garlic to the pot and allow it to melt slightly into the onion, another 2 minutes.
- Add 3 Tbsp. olive oil to the pot along with your 3 Tbsp. flour. Cook until all of the flour is absorbed into the oil, then add your vegetable broth and almond milk. Stir to combine.
- Add your nutritional yeast, 2 Tbsp. at a time, stirring in between each additional. Taste after 7 Tbsp. and add more if desired - I ended up with 8 Tbsp. total. Bring to a low boil.
- Add your broccoli and stir to combine. Carefully taste (it's hot!), and adjust seasoning if necessary. Add cayenne if desired.
- Remove from heat and add your 1 Tbsp. lemon juice to brighten up the flavors. Serve with Cheez-It Roasted Chickpeas if desired.
Original recipe and Notes of recipe visit: Vegan Roasted Broccoli and 'Cheese' Soup @ fooduzzi.com