1 (3 lb.) spaghetti squash
2 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
8 oz. mushrooms, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
¾ tsp ground oregano
½ tsp ground pepper
⅛ tsp salt
1 ½ cup marinara sauce (your favorite kind)
1 ¾ cups (no salt added) chickpeas, rinsed & drained
¼ cup minced flat-leaf parsley
⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese (animal rennet-free for vegetarian)
- Using a large, sharp knife, pierce the spaghetti squash in several pieces.
- Place the spaghetti squash in a glass baking dish and cook in the microwave on high for about 15 minutes, turning the squash halfway through cooking.
- Before handling, let the squash stand for 10 minutes. Cut in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds and fibers. Using a fork, twist out strands of the spaghetti squash flesh and place in a large bowl.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet, set over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and just starting to brown, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic, oregano, pepper and salt. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the reserved spaghetti squash, marinara sauce, chickpeas and parsley.
- Spread the spaghetti squash mixture into an even layer in the skillet. Top with the Parmesan cheese.
- Place the skillet under the broiler until the cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve.
Original Recipes visit: Vegetarian Spaghetti Squash Skillet @ cookincanuck.com